Board index The Blogosphere MemoryHeap's Blog This is what a derecho can do

This is what a derecho can do

General words about nothing and everything, noises, blatherings and non-specific things uttered by MemoryHeap. Real discussions pertaining to stories will take place in those forums.

Anyone can read my blog, and post in it. If you don't have an account on the site, your posts will be filtered through various anti-spam checks, and you will have to submit to an 'are you human?' test. This is necessary to avoid the spammers (sorry, but such measures have already prevented thousands of garbage postings).

* To see the story forums, and read the stories, you must register for an account. *

Moderator: memoryheap

Post Mon May 30, 2022 5:31 am

We got hit by a wicked storm on Saturday, May 21st. Environment Canada later labelled it as a "derecho", a kind of storm that is effectively a long and very wide thunderstorm with highly destructive winds. It literally was like being inside a hurricane. When it hit, we couldn't even see the cars that were parked five feet away from our office windows. The rain was moving sideways and there was so much of it it actually greyed out the air. It was worse than being in a winter blizzard with whiteout conditions.

At the height of the storm, all the lights went out all over the city, and they are still not back everywhere. Five people were killed by falling trees, and over 450 power poles were snapped in half. The power company says that the infrastructure damage was worse than the ice storm of 1998, or the seven tornadoes that struck us in 2018. My server farm was knocked out and we didn't get power back for over a day. My office was out of power for three days until our neighbours brought in a giant generator and offered to hook us up. We are still running on the generator and may not get reconnected to the grid for a few days yet.

The board is now back up, but it was off for a day or so. My apologies for not posting this sooner, but running the election, especially in an office with no power, has been a challenge.

Return to MemoryHeap's Blog