Board index The Blogosphere MemoryHeap's Blog Creative Composition: What the Ending Should Have Been

Creative Composition: What the Ending Should Have Been

General words about nothing and everything, noises, blatherings and non-specific things uttered by MemoryHeap. Real discussions pertaining to stories will take place in those forums.

Anyone can read my blog, and post in it. If you don't have an account on the site, your posts will be filtered through various anti-spam checks, and you will have to submit to an 'are you human?' test. This is necessary to avoid the spammers (sorry, but such measures have already prevented thousands of garbage postings).

* To see the story forums, and read the stories, you must register for an account. *

Moderator: memoryheap

Is it okay if I hate Memory Heap for his ability to write a freakin' 8 page, 4,000+ word ending to a story in a day?

Believe me, that doesn't happen all that often. Yes, I wrote that in about a day, but most writing takes a much longer time. Every now and then an idea comes to me that is so crystal clear, and so well-formed that I can't get it into words fast enough. At times I can even see the characters in my mind, and hear them speaking to each other, and gesturing or moving while they speak. Trying to convey that image becomes my sole focus, and my fingers just can't move fast enough over the keys.

That was what happened with the new ending. I had re-read the original ending to try to get a feel for what everyone was complaining about, and I suddenly saw the daughter talking to her father, and then bringing him back to see her mother. After that, it was a matter of how fast I could type.

Interestingly, I've already had an e-mail from someone who is not satisfied with the new ending. He wants it to go all the way through to their wedding, setting up house together, and then a "and they lived happily ever after" ending. When it comes to story endings, I am a big believer in "always leave them wanting more" so the story ends with all of the follow-on stuff implied, and up to the imagination of the reader.

Previous

Return to MemoryHeap's Blog